Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, GILFORD, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)

Name: LYNN, WILLIAM HENRY
Building: CO. DOWN, GILFORD, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1868-69
Nature: New cruciform church in 'Early French' style to accommodate 500.  Largely endowed by J.W. McMaster, of Dumbarton House, who also gave site. FS laid Oct 1868. Consecrated 20 Nov 1869. Cost: £4,000. Builder: John Collen, Portadown.
Refs: Drawing(s), signed or stamped by Welland & Gillespie, in RCB Library, portfolio 12;  Irish Churchman 1, no. 5, 20 Jun 1868, 67;  Irish Ecclesiasticaal Gazette 11, no. 117, 18 Feb 1869, 40;  IB 11, 1 Dec 1869, 281;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 194(illus.);  also illus in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 198.

Name: CALDWELL, SAMUEL *#
Building: CO. DOWN, GILFORD, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1874
Nature: East window, in memory of J.W. McMaster.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Nov 1874, 306; Handbook of the United Diocese of Down & Connor & Dromore (Belfast, 1886), 115;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 194.

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. DOWN, GILFORD, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: W window, in memory of Hugh Watson.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 194.