Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)

Name: SEMPLE, JOHN [3]
Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)
Date: 1826
Nature: New church with spire. Cost:£1846.3s.1d, half of which was gift from Board of First Fruits. Attributed to JS by Craig.   Described by Lewis as modern, with 'an arched stone roof. like St Kieran's chapel at Glendalough and those of St Cormac at Cashel and St Doulough near Dublin'. (Weight of roof cracked walls so that body of church had to be rebuilt in 1846.)
Refs: J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 201-2; M. Craig, 'John Semple and his churches', Irish Arts Review Year Book 1989-1990, 146,14(illus.); Clergy of Cashel and Emly; Clergy of Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 261(illus.),262;  exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 351.  

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)
Date: 1844
Nature: Rebuilding and enlargement of body of church.
Refs: Signed drawings, dated 1844, for proposed new church incorporating old entrance & porch. Early English. 5-bay nave and chancel., dated 1844, in RCB Library, portfolio 21; Clergy of Cashel, Emly and Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012),262;  ;  exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 351.

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)
Date: 1865
Nature: Proposed adds.
Refs: Signed drawing(s), dated 1865, in RCB Library, portfolio 21

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)
Date: 1879
Nature: Improvements in chancel. Floor raised and tiles; new oak rading desk.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 238, 1 Jan 1879, 396.

Name: HARRISON, CHARLES WILLIAM *
Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHURCH (CI, KILLESHIN PARISH)
Date: 1883
Nature: New reading desk, font, 3 white Sicilian marble headstones in memory of members of Cole and Duke families, polished granite monument to Rev. W.C. Duke.
Refs: IB 26, 1 Jan 1884, 14