Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LONGFORD, NEWTOWNFORBES, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI, CLONGISH OR CLONGUISH PARISH)

Name: HARGRAVE, JOHN
Building: CO. LONGFORD, NEWTOWNFORBES, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI, CLONGISH OR CLONGUISH PARISH)
Date: 1829
Nature: Gothic church on site of earlier cruciform church. According to Lewis earlier church was 'supposed to have been built by the British settlers about 1694' and was 'rebuilt by aid of a gift of £830 from the late Board of First Fruits', in 1829'.
Refs: Undated elevation 'showing dimensions and character of nave and transept windows'.in Representative Church Body Library, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/30 (last visted, Mar 2017);  Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 365;  Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 436, Pl. 101 (interior); exterior illus. in Clergy of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 253;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 252.