Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LIMERICK, KILLEEDY, CHURCH (CI)

Name: FOGERTY, WILLIAM
Building: CO. LIMERICK, KILLEEDY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1862-63
Nature: New church, replacing one burnt down in 1822 by Rockites. 4-bay rectangle, lit by lancets, with bellcote at W. end. For Rev. Thomas Willis. Nave begun 1863; to be completed when funds available.  Subscriptions solicited for addition of 'neat gable with Roman belfry', Nov 1863, 'otherwise the contractor must finish the building without the slightest indication of the purpose to which it is devoted'. Opened, 1 Sep 1864.  Contractor: Patrick Scanlan, Cecil Street, Limerick. Funds provided by A. Findlater, 'leaving only a few seats, prayer desk and pulpit to be provided for'.
Refs: Drawing(s), signed and dated 'Wm. Fogerty, Limerick & Dublin, Nov. 1862' in RCB Library, portfolio 22;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 4, no, 31 (15 Jan 1862), 373; no. 52 (15 Oct 1863(), 888; 6, no. 56 (17 Feb 1864), 43; 6, no. 64 (19 Oct 1864), 216;  DB 5, 15 May,1 Oct 1863, 90,165;  Irish Times, 5 Nov 1863.