Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)

Name: ROGERS, JAMES EDWARD [2]
Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1868-70
Nature: New parish church on site donated by James C. Moore. 13th century Gothic style with apsidal chancel, south porch and detached round tower. Handsome carved stone pulpit, encaustic tiles throughout. All windows of stained glass. FS laid 11 Apr 1868 (or 9 Jun?).  Consecrated 17 Mar 1870. Contractor: H. Sharpe, Kells. Cost about £2,200; £1200 donated by William Coates, Knockanally, who also donated W window in memory of Mrs Coates.
Refs: Drawing, signed & dated 1868, in RCB Library, portfolio 18;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 10, no. 105, 20 Mar 1868, 66; 12, no. 130, 22 Mar 1870, 70;  IB 10, 15 Jun 1868, 157; 12, 1 Apr 1870, 82;  Irish Churchman 1, no. 5, 20 Jun 1868, 66;  Irish Times, 29 Mar 1870;  Architect 3, 9 Apr 1870, 180; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 639; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 109; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 191-193(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397.

Name: HEATON, BUTLER & BAYNE *#
Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1870
Nature: Stained glass windows. Chancel windows represent Four Evangelists, those in nave SS Peter, Paul and Patrick. W window (Flight into Egypt, Baptism and Ascension) presented in memory of Mrs Coates by her son William Coates of Knockanally.
Refs: Irish Times, 29 Mar 1870.