||Italianate with campanile 100ft high. Cork Red sandstone with limestone dressings.. FS laid 2 May 1848. In course of erection, 1850, when Builder correspondent opined that a 'Flemish-looking gable takes from the general effect produced by the rest of the façade'. Described as 'newly erected', Aug 1851. Contractor for interior: Cornelius O'Leary, Dominick Street, Cork.
Cork Examiner, 3 May 1848; B 8, 15 Jun 1850, 283-4; APSD II, C, 147; M. MacAuliffe, Dominicans in Cork (1939), 44; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 86(illus.); Jeremy Williams, 'William Atkins 1812-1887, a forgotten Cork Pre-Raphaelite' in A. Bernelle (ed.), Decantations: a tribute to Maurice Craig (1992), 243,248.