Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)

Name: HASKETT, SAMUEL
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1833a
Nature: SH provides design for same?
Refs: W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), I, 453.

Name: LOUCH, JOHN HOWARD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1837
Nature: Louch's plan and estimate accepted by committe of Dalkey Episcopal Church, Sep 1837.
Refs: MS record of special meeting of committee of Dalkey Episcopal Church, 26 Sep 1837 (RCB Library, photocopy in IAA, Jones file L74);  'Statement of the Louch family from their transplanting to Ireland in 17--' by Fitzgibbon Louch, Jun 1894 (copy in IAA, Jones file L73).

Name: OWEN, JACOB
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1839-43
Nature: JO wins competition for new church. Gothic. Land leased from Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin, 6 Nov 1840. Opened by licence for worship 5 Mar 1843. Cost: £3,000. Consecrated 20 Aug 1868. ‘Though erected some thirty years ago, the consecration did not take place till the present, owing, it is understood, to its not having been sufficiently endowed iuntil recently.’(Irish Churchman)
Refs: Irish Churchman 1, no. 8, 19 Sep 1868, 117;  B.H. Blacker, 'Sketches of Irish Churches' in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 14, no. 157, 25 Jun 1872, 136; F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 161,Pl.47; Clergy of Dublin & Glenadalough (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2001), 89-90;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 290. 

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1853
Nature: Proposed adds.(organ gallery, additional galleries in S transept and W end, stairs to S gallery, robing room behind chancel &c.).
Refs: Signed, dated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 13 (photocopies in IAA, Jones file W40).

Name: CARSON, EDWARD HENRY
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1872a
Nature: Lodge contining lecture room and apartment for sexton or school teacher erected 'within the past few years'. Cost about £1200.
Refs: B.H. Blacker, 'Sketches of Irish Churches VIII' in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 14, no 157, 25 Jun 1872, 136.

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1879
Nature: New 5-light E window filled with glass by Mayer &Co. Central light depicts ‘Christ blessing children’; other 4 grisaille.
Refs:  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 1, 3 Jan 1880, 20; no. 2, 10 Jan 1880, 40.

Name: CARSON, EDWARD HENRY
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1879-1880
Nature: Exterior and interior adds. and alts.. New chancel, organ chamber, robing room, open timber pitch pine roof, communion rails;  entire church repewed and redecorated.  E window of limestone from Sheephill Quarry filled with stained glass by Mayer & Co. Central light depicts Christ blessing children; other 4 lights in grisaille glass.  Memorial to daughter of G. Peacock of Cornie-na-Greine. Also new pulpit and reading desk in memory of Charles leslie, JP, 'who spent several thousands in connection with church, rectory and schools.' Chancel floor laid with Minton tiles. Cost: £2,000, rising to over £2,400. 'We had not the pleasure of seeing Dalkey Church before its change, but we can well fancy that with a three decker placed at the top of the church, with no chancel, and the western gallery blocked up with an organ, it presented anything but an interior to be admired.' Church reopened, 14 Dec 1879. Contractor: Higginbotham, Dalkey
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 240, 1 Mar 1879, 461; 22, no. 27, 3 Jul 1880, 513; 23, no 53, 1 Jan 1881, 13;  Irish Times, 15 Dec 1879.

Name: HARRISON, C.W., & SONS *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1920
Nature: War memorial in honour of 16 parishioners who died in the Great War. Unveiled July 1920. In Caen stone, with green Connemara marble columns.
Refs: IB 62, 17 July 1920, 470.