Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LAOIS, PORTARLINGTON, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)

Name: COBDEN, THOMAS ALFRED
Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTARLINGTON, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1840a
Nature: New church, for Rev. Terence O'Connell.  Opened 1839?. Attributed to Thomas A. Cobden by O'Suibhne. Attribution supported by Rev. Thomas McDonnell on stylistic grounds and because Terence O'Connell had been administrator in Carlow parish while the cathedral was being built.

Refs: Catholic Directory (1840), 287;  note in Buildings of Ireland files, citing P.MacSuibhne, The Parish of Killeshin, Graiguecullen (1972);  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 76;  e-mail to editor  from Rev. Thomas O'Donnell, 20 Mar 2009.

Name: MCNAMARA, THOMAS FRANCIS
Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTARLINGTON, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1912-1915
Nature: New sanctuary, sacristies, extension of nave, formation of nuns' choir, 2 small shrines, &c. Massive window behind high altar by Daniel & Frucker. Local limestone. For Rev. E. O'Leary, PP. Contractor: Mr Sweeney, Portarlington. Side chapels also undergoing changes.
Refs: IB 54, 9 Nov 1912, 644; 55, 22 Nov 1913, 744; 57, 14 Aug 1915, 367

Name: OPPENHEIMER, LUDWIG, LTD *#
Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTARLINGTON, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1915a?
Nature: Mosaic work. (Sanctuary floor?)
Refs: Oppenheimer brochure, 1915ca (information from Robert Field, Swanage, Dorset, Apr 2013).