Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)

Name: PUGIN, EDWARD WELBY #
Building: CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1868-1873
Nature: New church, consisting of nave and aisles terminated at E by chancel and side chapels. Sacristy on S, baptistry SW. (Proposed transepts, tower and spire not built?). For Canon Neville, PP. FS laid 22 Aug 1869. Dedicated  29 Jun 1873.  Initially superintended by Mr Collingridge Barnett. Later by Clerk of Works McAulif. Contractor: Richard Evans, Cork. Subject of litigation. (Extended iby 31ft in early 1960s, see IB 102, 23 Jul 1960, 551)
Refs: IB 10, 15 Jul 1868, 182; 11, 1 Sep 1869, 205; 12, 15 Aug 1870, 189,198;15, 15 Apr 1873, 109; B 27, 4 Sep 1869, 712-3; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 62;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing Stephen Welsh Papers on EW Pugin (1975) in RIBA Collection, Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

Name: OPPENHEIMER, LUDWIG, LTD *#
Building: CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1915ca
Nature: Mosaic work in sanctuary, Sacred Heart Chapel and Lady Chapel, Lady Chapel floor, mosaics above main entrance and side entrance.
Refs: Oppenheimer brochure, 1915ca, and information from Robert Field, Swanage, Dorset, Apr 2013.