||New church, paid for and endowed by E.P. Shirley (of Lough Fea). FS laid by his son, 23 Nov 1865. Simple oblong building with apsidal sanctuary with alabaster-lined walls and Minton tiles on floor. Chancel arch of green Gaway marble. Consecrated 13 Oct 1868. Intended eventually to form chancel of much larger church. Shirley family vault in crypt below sanctuary. Builder: Parks, Carrickmacross. Stained glass: Clayton & Bell. Marble work by Sibthorpe, Dublin. (According to Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette, church was 'from the design of W. Slone, Esq.').
DB 7, 1 Dec 1865, 286; B 27, 9 Jan 1869, 33; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 10, no. 113, 20 Oct 1868, 229; J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 114; A catalogue of the Bradshaw Collection of Irish books in the University Library Cambridge (1916), II, 1011; illus. in Clergy of Clogher (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Part 1, 17; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 294- 5. St. Patrick's Church, Ardragh Parish, Shanco, Corvalley, Carrickmacross, Co.Monaghan, http://www.carrickmacross.clogher.anglican.org/Ardragh%20Parish%20History%20draft%20notes.pdf (last visited, Apr 2014).