Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)

Name: CARROLL, THOMAS HENRY *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1860-63
Nature: Rebuilding, to designs by Welland & Gillespie.
Refs: Plan, S & E elevations, gallery plan, signed J. Welland & Son, with appended minutes of meeting of parishioners approving plans, 6 Feb 1860, in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51\ARCH), also drawing(s) signed by Welland & Gillespie and dated 1861 in RCB Library, portfolio 12; IAA, PKS A03 (Mar,Apr, Sep 1861, pp.39v,89v,90v), bill of quantities, table of timber work, in missing account book (old refs. A/21, A/57);  Armagh Guardian, 27 Apr 1860; The Protestant Workman and Lurgan Gazette, 11,18 May 1861,1 18 Jan 1862;  DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 11, 1 Aug 1869, 175; see also C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 8, which says that part of spire of original church of 1725 was retained;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 237;  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 199.

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1860-63;1869
Nature: Rebuilding of church incorporating existing W tower & porches. Cruciform. Early English. Tenders invited, Apr 1860. Contractor: Thomas Henry Carroll. FS laid 1 Jul 1861. Consecrated 8 May 1863. Tower (90' high in black whinstone) and spire (82' high in Dungannon freestone) completed 1869 (Contractor: Robert McConnell).
Refs: Plan, S & E elevations, gallery plan, signed J. Welland & Son, with appended minutes of meeting of parishioners approving plans, 6 Feb 1860, in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51\ARCH), also drawing(s) signed by Welland & Gillespie and dated 1861 in RCB Library, portfolio 12; IAA, PKS A03 (Mar,Apr, Sep 1861, pp.39v,89v,90v), bill of quantities, table of timber work, in missing account book (old refs. A/21, A/57);  Armagh Guardian, 27 Apr 1860; The Protestant Workman and Lurgan Gazette, 11,18 May 1861,1 18 Jan 1862;  DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 11, 1 Aug 1869, 175; see also C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 8, which says that part of spire of original church of 1725 was retained;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 237;  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 199236-8(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 426-7.


Name: YOUNG & MACKENZIE
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1884
Nature: Internal redecoration.
Refs: Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 291.

Name: HANNA, JAMES A.
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1911
Nature: Alts. & renovation.
Refs: IB 53, 15 Apr 1911, 246; IA & C 1, 8 Apr 1911, 145

Name: HEATON, BUTLER & BAYNE *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1917ca
Nature: Stained glass window in N transept.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 427.

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1930-31
Nature: Extension and beautifying of chancel Church re-opened 1931. Cost:: £1,900.
Refs: IB 72, 1 Feb 1930, 111; 73, 11 Apr 1931, 324

Name: HANNA, DENIS O'DONOGHUE
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1938
Nature: Oak panelling in west porch.
Refs: IB 80, 14 May 1938, 414