Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DONEGAL, FANAD HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE

Name: HALPIN, GEORGE [1]
Building: CO. DONEGAL, FANAD HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE
Date: 1812ca-1817
Nature: New lighthouse. Stone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Erection supervised by Mr Carpenter. Cost: £5,756.1s.10d. Light first exhibited St Patrick's Day 1817.(OS Memoir gives cost as 'about £2000')
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survery Memoirs of Ireland 38 (Institute of Irish Studies, 1997), 2(illus.),4; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 292

Name: CARPENTER, WILLIAM *
Building: CO. DONEGAL, FANAD HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE
Date: 1815-17
Nature: Work supervised by 'Mr Carpenter of Dublin'.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survery Memoirs of Ireland 38 (Institute of Irish Studies, 1997), 2(illus.),4.

Name: DOUGLASS, WILLIAM
Building: CO. DONEGAL, FANAD HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE
Date: 1886-87
Nature: New tower and apparatus.
Refs: Life of William Douglass, M.Inst.C.E. formerly engineer-in-chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights by the author of the 'Life of Sir James Nicholas Douglass [Thomas Williams]' (Privately published, 1923), on-line version at http://pharology.eu/resources/Douglass.pdf