Selected: CO. WICKLOW, STRATFORD-ON-SLANEY
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, STRATFORD-ON-SLANEY|
|Nature:||New village established by 2nd Earl of Aldborough for encouragement of woollen manufacture. Town intended to have 4 squares and 12 streets with large reservoir in centre. Only partly built. Date given as 1783 by Price.
G.N. Wright, Tours in Ireland (1823), ?; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 580; J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 750; E.P. O'Kelly, 'Historical notes on Baltinglass in modern times', Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society 5 (1906-8), 334.; L. Price, Place names of Co. Wicklow (1945), 142.