||CO. CORK, GLANMIRE, FATHER MATHEW MEMORIAL TOWER
||Gothic tower, consisting of 2 limestone cylinders, the shorter erected 1843-45 to commemorate the success of Fr. Mathew's visit to London in May 1843 in the cause of temperance, the longer in 1845. FS of shorter tower laid 30 Oct 1843. Both paid for by Mathew's friend William O'Connor, merchant tailor. Steps on W side guarded by watch dogs and Roman warriors. Incorporates bust of Mathew by Hogan. (Statue of Mathew nearby.) Architect 'Mr Howard'. Exterior complete and interior almost complete in Jul 1845. Public opening on 9 Nov 1846.
Cork Examiner, 1 Nov 1843, 2 Jul 1845 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork); Illustrated London News 7, 21 Nov 1846, 328; B 4, 28 Nov 1846, 574.