||New church, consecrated 1831. 'At Gartree, formerly a separate parish [from Killead]...a very handsome church was erected in 1831, under the auspices of Col. Pakenham, aided by a loan of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits: the Ecclesaistical Commissioners have lately granted £315 for its repair. At the entrance to the churchyard is a triumphal arch, erected in 1832, at the expense of the parishioners , in honour of Captain Armstrong, to whose memory it bears a long inscription. It is endowed with £100 per annum by Col. Pakenham, the patron, who has built a handsome residence for the chaplain, and serves as a chapel of ease to the parochial church.'(Lewis).. 'Edward Sands, an Englishman' stated by James Boyle to have been architect of church. Attr. by Brett to JS on this basis and on similarities of tower to that at Downpatrick Cathedral.