||O'CALLAGHAN, JOHN JOSEPH
||CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, CONVENT
||New convent (Sisters of Charity?) and schools for Rev. Dr MacCormack, Co-adjutor Lord Bishop of Achonry . Convent walls of local grit stone in hammer-dressed masonry, wirth dressings, strings &c. of local limestone. Roof of purple slates with bands of green slates. Tenders invited for erecting same, Jul 1873. Contractor: Thomas McGlynn, Balllaghaderreen. Clerk of works: Mr Troy. Convent nearly complete in Nov 1876 but schools not begun.
Irish Times, 17 Jul 1873; Architect 11, ? ? 1874, 278; IB 18, 1 Nov 1876, 312(illus.); illus. in Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 47.