Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, SEAGOE, CHURCH OF ST GOBHANN (CI)

Name: BROWNLEE, J.
Building: CO. ARMAGH, SEAGOE, CHURCH OF ST GOBHANN (CI)
Date: 1814-1816
Nature: New church near site of former one, which had become too small. For Board of First Fruits. Consecrated 28 Jun 1816. Name of architect recorded in glass bottle beneath foundation; '…a large handsome edifice in the early English style, with a square tower built at an entire cost of £2200, of which £1000 was a loan from the late Board of First Fuits…the interior is fitted up in a very superior manner' (Lewis).
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 105; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 548;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 230(illus.);  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 201. 

Name: ECCLESIASTICAL COMMISSIONERS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, SEAGOE, CHURCH OF ST GOBHANN (CI)
Date: 1862
Nature: To be internally fitted up and repaired.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Mar 1862, 58

Name: DREW, THOMAS (SIR)
Building: CO. ARMAGH, SEAGOE, CHURCH OF ST GOBHANN (CI)
Date: 1883-1891
Nature: Renovation and enlargement (addition of south aisle, chancel in memory of Stewart Blacker, DL, of Carrickblacker, new north porch, 3 new windowsin nave, new roof to nave &c..) at expense of Hester Blacker, Baroness von Stieglitz, Builder: Collen, £1,877. TD completing plans, Jan 1883. Church reopened 7 Aug 1891.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1883, no. 549; IAA, PKS B15/07(missing), A07 (Jan 1890, p.370); Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 121, 22 Apr 1882, 278; 25, no. 160, 27 Jan 1883, 86;   Irish Times, 16 Dec 1890; B 61, ? Aug 1891, 156;   Fred Rankin, ed.,Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 230(illus.);  exterior also illus in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 201;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 297-8;