Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)

Name: GEOGHEGAN, CHARLES
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date:
Nature: Plans for same by CG?
Refs: MS list of plans in office of CG, 2 Oct 1896, in possession of Joe macEochag√°in, 2006 (photocopy in IAA, RP.B.48 (1-3))

Name: HARDWICK, PHILIP CHARLES #
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1855-61
Nature: New cathedral replacing St John's Chapel (very close to but not on same site as latter). Body of church designed by PCH, winner of competition..FS laid 1 May 1856. Opened (unfinished) Jul 1861. (His sketch designs for tower in Cathedral archives. One of these adapted and carried out by M.A. Hennessy.) Contractor: Mssrs. Ryan or William Wallace?. Decoration: Hodkinson (Limerick). High Altar: W. Doolin, Westland Row. Throne by 'a Belgian firm'.
Refs: B 10, 30 Oct 1852, 689; 13, 13 Oct 1855, 486; 15, 14 Mar 1857, 156; 17, 26 Nov 1859, 782; DB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 17; 2, 1 Jan 1860, 178(illus.); 5, 15 May 1863, 81; IB 36, 1 Jul 1895, 157; 49, 23 Mar 1907, 221(illus.); 54, 31 Aug 1912, 509; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 680; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987),

Name: PHYFFERS, THEODORE *#
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1859ca
Nature: Sculpture on high altar and figures of Christ crucified, Virgin and St John on rood beam across chancel arch.
Refs: M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 47; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 55

Name: PUGIN & ASHLIN
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1868
Nature: Building of tower and spire progressing. Builder: Thomas Crosbie.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233

Name: BYRNE, THOMAS [3]*
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1879-1883
Nature: Erection of tower and spire. For Fr James McCoy. Built from within. Damaged by storm when almost complete Sep 1882. Completed Sep 1883.
Refs: John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 67-70.

Name: HENNESSY, MAURICE ALPHONSUS
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1879-1883
Nature: Modification and completion of tower and spire, with S. Hennessy. Spire completed 1883. Builder: P. Kenna. Clerk of Works: T. Byrne. (M.A. Hennessy added 105 ft to design by P.C.Hardwick.). Original builder Patrick, Kenna, Glentworth St, Limerick; dismissed 1879 and replaced by Thomas Byrne.
Refs: Drawings in collection of Tom Sheridan, architect, Limerick, 2002; design exh. Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, 1882, no. 627; IB 21, 15 Apr,1 Nov 1879, 125,344; 36, 1 Jul 1894, 157; 36, 1 Jul 1894, 157; 48, 3 Nov 1906, 890; 49, 23 Mar,21 Sep 1907, 210,221(illus.),662; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 66-67

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1880s?
Nature: 5-light S window of N transept (and 5-light N window of S transept?). Also rose window in St Vincent de Paul chapel.
Refs: John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 61.

Name: LAWLOR, JOHN *
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1881
Nature: Bronze statue of Patrick Sarsfield erected in cathedral grounds.
Refs: Irish Times, 5 Dec 1881, 6; .Jim Kemmy & Larry Walsh, Limerick in old picture postcards (1997), No. 35(illus.);  Paula Murphy, Nineteenth-Century Irish Sculpture: Native Genius Reaffirmed  (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 2010), 180(illus.).

Name: HENNESSY, MAURICE ALPHONSUS
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1883-84
Nature: Rebuilding of portion of spire injured by storm last winter. Builder: T. Massingham, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Large richly gilt cross placed on apex stone on 4 Aug 1883 under superintendence of MAH.
Refs: IB 25, 15 Aug 1883, 251; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 70

Name: O'CALLAGHAN, JOHN JOSEPH
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Renovation of interior, including reordering of sanctuary, for Bishop Edward Thomas O'Dwyer. Designs and plans 'inspired by St Chad's cathedral, Birmingham'. Work carried out by Walter Doolin and Mssrs. Ryan, Limerick. Mural decorations by Hodkinson, Limerick. Priests' and deacons'm stalls carved by Beakey, Dublin.   Consecrated 21 Jun 1894.
Refs: Irish Times, 22 Jun 1894;  John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 72-3

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1920-1922
Nature: Repairs, decoration. Tenders invited for pointing of exterior and 'cleaning down and colouring' of interior, Aug 1920.
Refs: Undated drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings, 76/1.113/1-18;  Freeman's Journal, 6,7 Aug 1920;   IB 62, 14 Aug 1920, 533; 64, 3 Jun 1922, 393; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 81-82.

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1925a
Nature: New baptistry and mural tablet in memory of most Rev. Dr O'Dwyer erected by Apr 1925. Gift of clergy of diocese and some lay friends.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.113; Catholic Directory (1926), 569

Name: BENZONI, GIOVANNI MARIA *#
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Statue of Virgin, presented to cathedral by Rt. Hon. William Monsell, MP.
Refs: M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 682; John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 57 (illus.).

Name: PEARSE, JAMES, & SONS *
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Reredos by William Pearse.
Refs: Theo Snoddy, Dictionary of Irish Artists: 20th Century (1996), 389