Selected: CO. WICKLOW, PREBAN (AUGHRIM), CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, PREBAN (AUGHRIM), CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)|
|Nature:||New church, 52 x 22 ft, built on new site granted by Earl Fitzwilliam for perpetual curacy formed circa 1824 'through the laborious exertions of Mr Geo. Coates'. Described as 'a handsome edifice in the Early English style with an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles' by Lewis. Grant of £900 from Board of First Fruits. Consecrated 14 Oct 1827. (cf. Monamolin).
NA/PRO BR.Wick.19; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 472; J.B. Leslie, Ferns Clergy and Parishes (1936), 231; exterior illus. in Clergy of Waterford, Lismore and Ferns (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 469.