Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, ABBEY OF ST FRANCIS

Name: DOOLIN, WALTER GLYNN
Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, ABBEY OF ST FRANCIS
Date: 1883-86
Nature: Restoration, retaining tower of old church. Roofs of nave & aisles made same height.  Lancets in N wall of old choir placed in N aisle of new church. For Rev. J.B. Cooney. Builder: John Delany. Church opened 1Aug 1886 & dedicated 27 Oct 1886.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1886, no. 557;  drawing of abbey 'restored 1886' exh. Irish Exhibition in London, 1888, no. 351; undated exterior perspective by WGD in IAA, Butler Collection, 85/107.1/13;  IB 26, 1 Sep 1884, 265; 27, 1 Jan,1 Apr 1885, 9(illus.),105(illus.); 28, 1 Nov 1886, 300; W.P. Butler, History of Clonmel (1907), 301; design exh. RHA 1886, no. 557;  JRSAI 19 (1909), 252-254;  Gearoid Crookes, 'The Career and Architectural Works of Walter G. Doolin (1850-1902)', unpublished M.A. thesis, University College Dublin, 1987, 105-108, Fig, 7:6-9;  exterior illus. in Se├ín O'Donnell, Clonmel 1840-1900: anatomy of an Irish town (1999), between pp. 118 and 119