Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY

Name: WILKINSON, GEORGE
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1879-1880
Nature: New show hall, &c., for Royal Dublin Society being proceeded with rapidly. Show hall building (277 x 167 ft.) contains hall of 242 x 160 ft. Entrance portion will contain boardroom, offices, cloakroom &c. Moulded stone and brick pediment. Roof will rest on rolled iron girders supported by cast iron columns. Contractor: Collen Bros. Amount of contract between £11,000 and £12,000.
Refs: Letter of application requesting Committee of Agriculture to consider Patterson & Kempster as surveyors to new buildings, 17 Dec 1879, in IAA, PKS B09/20;  Irish Times, 5 Mar 1880, 6; 4 Jun 1880, 6; 13 Sep 1880, 7;  IB 22, 5 Sep 1880, 264-5; Henry F. Berry, History of the Royal Dublin Society (1915), 311

Name: DEANE, THOMAS NEWENHAM, & SON
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1885
Nature: Gasfitting in Agricultural Hall.  Contractor: Edmundson.
Refs: IAA, PKS B12/31

Name: OWEN, CHARLES ASTLEY
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1895
Nature: Water chute for Ierne Bazaar, May 1895.
Refs: Irish Times, 3 May 1895.

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1896
Nature: RFCO designer of Cyclopia Grand Fete and Bazaar in aid of building fund and amalgamation of Opthalmic Hospital, Lincoln Place, and National eye & Ear Infirmary, Molesworth St.  Work carried out by Mssrs. Womersley of Leeds, 'the most famous bazaar architects in the world'. Took place 19-23 May 1896.
Refs: Irish Times, 23 Mar, 7,8,19 May 1896.

Name: MCCARTHY, PATRICK HARNETT
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1903-04
Nature: Arts & Industries Exhibition Hall (cost about £5000) Approaching completion. Contractor: J.S. Goodfellow.  For RDS. Iron columns by McGloughlin, Great Brunswick St. Also improvements to East Hall, including , new telegraph offices, cloak rooms, third-class dining and refreshment rooms.. Contractor: A. & J. Maln(?).
Refs: IAA, PKS B20/12 and A08 (Dec 1903); IB 46, 18 Jun 1904, 374; 47, 14 Jan 1905, 8;  Irish Times, 6 Aug 1904.

Name: MCCARTHY & ANDERSON
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1905
Nature: Extensive premises, permanent stalls &c., to replace those destroyed in recent fire.
Refs: IB 47, 2,30 Dec 1905, 878,946; 48, 20 Oct 1906, 848

Name: SCOTT, WILLIAM ALPHONSUS
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1913
Nature: WAS designs Ovada Bazaar in which space is 'laid out architecturally as a reproduction of the the town of Ovada in Italy'. Was this in RDS Hall?
Refs: IB 55, 7 Jun 1913, 365

Name: O'CALLAGHAN & WEBB
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1925
Nature: Adds. and alts. - including enlargement of Art Industries Hall and approach corridor - consequent on move from Leinster House. Government grant of £68,000.
Refs: IB 67, 18 Apr,8 Aug 1925, 285,624; 68, 9 Jan 1926, 5; AJ 64, 18 Aug 1926, 210

Name: O'CALLAGHAN & WEBB
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1926-27
Nature: Conversion of Industries Hall into concert hall; creation of reading, writing and smoking rooms in W wing of entrance block. Reconstruction of E. wing and new granite front. New ferro-concrete stand in jumping enclosure (Contractor for latter: Collen Bros; steel framework by A. & J. Main, Ltd, 11 Leinster St.)
Refs: IB 68, 9 Jun,27 Nov 1926, 891; 69, 20 Aug 1927, 601(illus.);  Irish Times, 5 May 1927 (illus.);   AJ 73, 17 Jun 1931, 849,858

Name: O'CALLAGHAN, LUCIUS
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1928
Nature: Designed board room carpet, executed by Miss Gleeson of the Dun Emer Guild. Blue with old gold border and arms of 4 provinces of Ireland in corners.
Refs: Information from David Griffin, 2009;  Irish Times, 22 Jun 1928..

Name: O'CALLAGHAN & GIRON
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1934
Nature: L O'C prepares plans for proposed reconstruction of present South Hall for industrial purposes.
Refs: IB 76, 11 Aug 1934, 661

Name: O'CALLAGHAN & GIRON
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1954
Nature: Extension to Simmonscourt Hall for RDS.
Refs: IB 96, 20 Nov,4 Dec 1954, 1145,1207

Name: GIRON, LOUIS FRANÇOIS
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1956;1959
Nature: Cafeteria, kitchen & sanitary accommodation, 1956. Adds. at grounds, 1959.
Refs: IB 98, 25 Aug 1956, 773; 101, 19 Sep 1959. 687

Name: GIRON, LOUIS FRANÇOIS
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: ?
Nature: Library (1965), concert hall, new front, renovation.
Refs: IB 107, 19 Jun 1965, 458; RIAI Yearbook 1977, 54