Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SOUTH WALL, POOLBEG LIGHTHOUSE & EASTERN ABUTMENT

Name: SMYTH, JOHN [1]
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SOUTH WALL, POOLBEG LIGHTHOUSE & EASTERN ABUTMENT
Date: 1766a-1767;1771-1775
Nature: Lighthouse at eastern extremity of South Wall to replace floating light. First lit 29 Sep 1767. JS was also responsible for building eastern abutment of South Wall, in or after 1771..
Refs: CARD XI, 129,332,392,404,408,453 (Although Post Chaise Companion(? ed.) xxiv, and J. Ferrar, View of Ancient and Modern Dublin(1796),34-35, both state that the lighthouse was begun in 1762, it is still spoken of as 'intended' in the Ballast Office's report to the Corporation of Jan 1763, and is not mentioned as being in progress until Apr 1766; TICEI 6 (1859-61), 7; R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 15; E. McParland, Public Architecture in Ireland: 1680-1760 (2001), 202(illus.), 121 (NB. An unsigned, undated draft proposal for this lighthouse - by JS or another - is in the King's Inns drawings collection, photograph in IAA, 005/010, S6676); Faulkner's Dunlin Journal 6-8 Dec 1770