Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. MAYO, EAGLE ISLAND, LIGHTHOUSES

Name: DOUGLASS, WILLIAM
Building: CO. MAYO, EAGLE ISLAND, LIGHTHOUSES
Date: 1835a
Nature: 2 lighthouses, costing £36,222.8s. Lights first exhibited 29 Sep 1835. (Lower lighthouse dismantled after being wrecked in storm in winter of 1894.)
Refs: John S. Sloane, 'A history of the lighthouses of Ireland…VII', IB 22, 15 Nov 1880, ?; Bill Long, Bright Light, White Water (1993), 158-9;  Life of William Douglass, M.Inst.C.E. formerly engineer-in-chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights by the author of the 'Life of Sir James Nicholas Douglass [Thomas Williams]' (Privately published, 1923), on-line version at http://pharology.eu/resources/Douglass.pdf