Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LISBURN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)

Name: CLOSE, SAMUEL PATRICK
Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LISBURN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)
Date: 1899;1910-11
Nature: New church. Consecrated, 9 Feb 1901. Enlarged by S.P. Close & Son, 1910-11. Contractor for enlargement Robert Corry & Son.
Refs: John Frederick MacNeice, The Church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931), IB 52, 30 Apr 1910, 282; 53, 15 Apr 1911, 245; IA & C 1, 8 Apr 1911, 150; Angela E. McGuinness, 'Samuel Patrick Close: Architect' (unpublished master's thesis, Queen's University, Belfast, 1990), 70 (Pls. 98,99); Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 77;  Paul Larmour, 'A Worthy Victorian Architect' , Perspective: the Journal of the Royal Society of Ulster Architects 5 (May/Jun 1998), 75;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 220(illus.).