Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, EGLANTINE AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST THOMAS (CI)

Name: LANYON, LYNN & LANYON
Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, EGLANTINE AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST THOMAS (CI)
Date: 1869-70
Nature: New High Victorian Gothic church to accommodate 600, funded by bequest of late A.T. Maclean. By John Lanyon. (Did JL also design extension of 1888?) FS laid Oct or Nov 1869. Consecrated 22 Dec 1870. Builder: Lowry & Son.
Refs: DB 8, 15 May 1866, 133; Architect 2, 6 Nov 1869, 232;   Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 11, no. 126, 20 Nov 1869, 258;  John Frederick MacNeice, The church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931), 27-29(illus.);  Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 38 (no. 74, illus.); Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 61;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 221(illus.).


Name: LANYON, JOHN
Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, EGLANTINE AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST THOMAS (CI)
Date: 1869-70;1887
Nature: High Victorian gothic. Extension, 1887.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 38 (no. 74, illus.); Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 61