Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)

Name: COCKBURN, GILBERT [1] *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1859-1864
Nature: GC contractor
Refs: DB 4, 15 Feb 1862, 43

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1859-1864
Nature: New church erected in parish of Monkstown by means of private funds. Consecrated Summer 1864.
Refs: Plan, S & W elevations (some signed by JW?) in RCB Library, MS.139 (C:\WP51ARCH); DB 1, 1 Mar 1859, 34; 6, 1 Jul 1864, 132

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1860-64
Nature: New district church. Opened for public worship, 23 May 1860; consecrated 16 Jun 1864. Builder: Cockburn & Son, Brunswick St. Cost: £4,500. (Church sold to order of St Pius X, 1985).
Refs: Signed and dated drawing(s) for addition of N & S transepts, 1862, in RCB Library, portfolio 15; DB 6, 1 Jul 1864, 132; J.B. Leslie (ed. W.J.R. Wallace), Clergy of Dublin and Glendalough (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2001), 144

Name: SILLERY, M. & R. *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: Betham heraldic stained glass window in S wall of S transept.
Refs: Étain Murphy, A Glorious Extravaganza: the history of Monkstown Parish Church(2203), 104-5(illus.).

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Sundry works, including extension of chancel and new organ.  Dedicated, 1 Mar 1898. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Mar 1898, 39;  Irish Times, 2 Mar 1898.

Name: DOUGLAS, WILLIAM JOSEPH *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1920
Nature: 2 war memorial windows, dedicated 31 Oct 1920. Moved in 1985 to Monkstown CI church.
Refs: Étain Murphy, A Glorious Extravaganza: the history of Monkstown Parish Church(2003), 110-112(illus.)