Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)

Name: SEMPLE, JOHN [3]
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1827
Nature: New transeptless church with 'vaulted roof' like Black Church and Trinity Church, Rathmines.  Built 1827 and licensed for worship 1 Apr 1830. Spire taken down afterdamage in storm of Jan 1839. Not rebuilt by 1859. Old church demolished shortly after opening of new church; ‘of the monuments in the interior, not one was rescued from destruction!’ (Christian Examiner)
Refs: Critical notice with illustration, not mentioning architect's name, in Dublin Penny Journal (1832), 212-3; Christian Examiner, New series, no. 6, Jun 1859, 129;   Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 22, 29 May 1880, 428;  M. Craig, 'John Semple and his churches', Irish Arts Review Year Book 1989-1990, 146,148(illus.); Clergy of Dublin and Glendalough (2001), 92;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 291. 

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: Enlargement by addition of transepts, chancel & robing room. Builder: George Farrell. Cost: £3000. Church reopened, 28 Oct 1860.  Fittings by Digges of Lincoln Place.
Refs: Undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 13; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; B 17, 20 Aug 1859, 556; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 2, no. 4 (15 Oct 1859), 75; no. 17, 15 Nov 1860, 463; 22, no. 22, 29 May 1880, 428;   B.H.Blacker, History of the parishes of Booterstown & Donnybrook (1861), ?.

Name: O'CONNOR, MICHAEL *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1869
Nature: Triple-light E window (Tranfiguration, Annunciation, Basptism of Christ).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2948/ (last visited, Jul 2016). (Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 208, 23 Aug 1876, 252, wrongly states that this window is by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.)

Name: SHARP, ALFRED PETER *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1890
Nature: New pulpit in memory of Arthur Gore Ryder, DD.
Refs: Irish Times, 8 Jan 1890.

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1906-07
Nature: New organ chamber for new Conacher organ, oak choir stalls and porch.  Builder: Crampton. Interior completely redecorated by Mssrs. Sibthorpe.  Organ dedicated, 11 Oct 1907.
Refs: IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1008;  Irish Times, 12 Oct 1907;  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 25.

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1920
Nature: War memorial in form of 18 ft-high Celticcross in church grounds next to main entrance.  Commemorates 23 men from parish who died in World War I.  Design executed by Mount Jerome Monumental Works.  Solemnly dedicated, 19 Sep 1920.
Refs: Irish Times, 20 Sep 1920.

Name: SIBTHORPE, HENRY & SON *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Decorative scheme for E end.
Refs: Painting by C. O'Sullivan in IAA, Sibthorpe Collection Acc. 78/22.A18, also photograph in IAA Reading Room Box Files (017/005 Y1)