||New librarY, gift of Andrew Carnegie. Georgian style, faced with Mount Charles stone with Ballinasloe limestone dressings. Cntral windo on first floor 'a genuine specimen of carving of the Queen Anne period'. Formally taken over by Lord Mayor, 8 Apr 1909. Contractor: George Langley (£9,997). 'Though the building is now completed it unfortunately cannot be opened to the public, as owing to what is known as the "libraries crux" the Committee have not the funds necessary for its equipment and upkeep, but it is hoped that these difficulties will soon be overcome, and that the library will be thrown open to the citizens.'
Irish Times, 31 Aug 1906; Weekly Irish Times, 10 Apr 1909(illus.); IB 49, 20 Apr,27 Jul,10 Aug 1907, 288,525,562; 51, 17 Apr,4 Sep 1909, 241,570(illus.); Freeman's Journal, 2 Apr 1909; Building News 96, 30 Apr 1909; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries (1998), 155-157(illus.).