||Bronze statue of Queen Victoria in front of Leinster House, on pedestal of Lunel marble with bronze figures representing War, Peace and Fame and. Also small stone figures of Science, Literature and Art. Pedestal designed by Basile Couremenos. Bronze founder: J. Malesset, Paris. Contractors for erection: Vienne, Paris. Unveiled 15 Feb 1908. Removed, July 1948 and stored in grounds of Royal Hospital, Kilmainham; statue moved to Sydney,Australia, 1986; attendant figures at Dublin Castle and Royal Hospital Kilmainham; plinth in Bully's Acre, Royal Hospital (1998).
Building News 83, 28 Nov 1902, 779; Alan Denson, John Hughes, Sculptor 1865-1941 (Kendal, 1969), 200-244,413, Pls.. 96-113 (copy in IAA, Acc. 2005/055); S. Breathnach Lynch, 'John Hughes: the Italian connection', Irish Arts Review 10 (1994), 195(illus.); Paula Murphy, 'The politics of the street monument', Irish Arts Review 10 (1994), 207(illus.); Paula Murphy, Nineteenth-Century Irish Sculpture: Native Genius Reaffirmed (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 2010), 219,235,237-8,Figs.298-300,315-317.