Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1862
Nature: New chapel (unexecuted?). For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Oct 1862, 268

Name: O'NEILL & BYRNE
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1878-80
Nature: New Romanesque chapel. Opened 29 Aug 1880. For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole, Dorset St, Dublin. High altar executed by Earley & Powell, Camden St. Altar railing by James Pearse, Great Brunswick St..
Refs: 9 drawings dated Oct 1878-Jan 1879 formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; IAA, PKS B06a/68; Architect 24, 4 Sep 1880, 157; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 224-6

Name: O'NEILL & BYRNE
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1879
Nature: Extension to Magdalen Asylum consisting of 2 3-storey wings containing dormitories, washing room, ironing room, dining rooms, kitchen, offices, &c.  Also single storey laundry extension? For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole. FS laid 1 Jun 1879.
Refs: 3 drawings, signed and dated May and June 1879, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; inscription on commemorative trowel presented to Archbishop of Dublin;  Irish Times, 2 Jun 1879;  J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 226-7; B 37, 9 Aug 1879, 898

Name: O'NEILL & BYRNE
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1879-1881
Nature: Additions to St Mary's Asylum and Orphanage. New 3-storey wing. Contractor: Meade & Son. Cornerstone set 17 Apr 1879; opened May 1881. Also single storey laundry extension. For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole. FS laid 1 Jun 1879.
Refs: 6 drawings, signed and dated May 1879, in W.H. Byrne collection; inscription on commemorative trowel presented to Archibishop of Dublin; B 37, 9 Aug 1879, 898; Architect 25, 28 May 1881, 376; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 226

Name: BYRNE, RALPH HENRY
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1934
Nature: Works at same, for Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge.
Refs: IB 76, ? ? 1934, 1038

Name: GEOGHEGAN, CHARLES
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: ?
Nature: Works at same, including chapel and farm, for Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge.
Refs: MS list of plans in stable of CG, 2 Oct 1896, in possession of Joe macEochag√°in, 2006 (photocopy in IAA, RP.B.48 (1-3)); obituary in IB 50, 11 Jul 1908, 428