Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. WICKLOW, ARKLOW, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI, KILBRIDE PARISH)

Name: BLOMFIELD, ARTHUR WILLIAM (SIR) #
Building: CO. WICKLOW, ARKLOW, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI, KILBRIDE PARISH)
Date: 1897-1899
Nature: New church. Early English. Gift of 5th Earl of Carysfort, in memory of his parents, brothers & sisters. Cost nearly £30,000. Begun May 1897. FS laid by Countess of Carysfort 10 Jun 1897. Opened 21 Aug 1899. Contr: John Thompson, Peterborough. Supervised by Benjamin Darling. E & W windows, reredos by Clayton & Bell, London. Last Supper panel by Thos. Nicholls. Stone carving by Earp & Hobbs, London.
Refs: Drawings by AWB in parish archives (information from David Lawrence, Gloine database); drawings in British Architectural Library, Thompson & Ruddle Collection, PA446/3(1-49); PA447/1(1-42); PA447/2(1-56); PA447/3(4); PA448/1(1-50); PA449/1(51-73); PA449/2(1-33); PA449/3(1-57);  IB 39, 15 Jun 1897, 116; 41, 1,15 Sep 1899, 113,129; 61, 25 Oct 1919, 482; B 73, 3 Jul 1897, 15; Building News 73, 1 Oct 1897, 492; 90, 12 Jan 1906, 65; Wicklow Newsletter 10,17 Oct,5 Dec 1896, 17 Apr,8 May,12 Jun 1897 24 Jun,5,21 Aug 1899;  Lesley Whiteside, St Saviour's Church, Arklow (St Saviour's Arklow, 1997);  exterior illus . in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 299.

Name: CLAYTON & BELL *#
Building: CO. WICKLOW, ARKLOW, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI, KILBRIDE PARISH)
Date: 1899-1919;1931-32,1937
Nature: Series of 18 windows, for 5th Earl of Carysfort (1836-1909, Col. Douglas Proby (1856-1931) and others. E & W windows executed by 1899.   All windows up to 1917 designed by George Daniels for Clayton & Bell. Also mosaic behind altar and opus sectile Ten Commandments, Apostles' Creed and Lord's Prayer to l. and r. of altar.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 24 Jun,21 Aug 1899, 2 May 1908, 26 May 1917, 4 Oct 1919;  IB 41, 15 Sep 1899, 129; Lesley Whiteside, St Saviour's Church, Arklow (St Saviour's. Arklow, 1997), 7-13(illus.);  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/building/building/2930/ (last visited Oct 2009);  exterior and mosaic behind altar illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 299.