Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. GALWAY, SPIDDAL, CHURCH OF ST ENDA (RC)

Name: SCOTT, WILLIAM ALPHONSUS
Building: CO. GALWAY, SPIDDAL, CHURCH OF ST ENDA (RC)
Date: 1903-1907
Nature: Free Celtic Revival church, adjacent to old church.. Granite & limestone. For Father Mark Conroy, PP. Pew in N transept for co-founder, Lord Killanin. Started Spring 1904. FS laid 9 Oct 1904. Dedicated 18 Aug 1907 by Dr McCormack, Bishop of Galway. Also high altar, BV altar & font (1907). Builder: Thomas Griffin & Son, Galway. Stained glass window: Sarah Purser. Altars & marble work by Galway Granite Co. Commission received on advice of Edward Martyn.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1904, nos. 295, 301, and 1905, no.340; IB 55, 16 Jul,13 Aug 1903, 1868(illus.),1907; 56, 26 Mar,5 Nov 1904, 182,758; 57, 6 May 1905, 310; 59, 24 Aug,7 Sep 1907, 577,582,618; B 86, 20 Feb 1904, 211; 87, 3 Dec 1904, 578(illus. in supplement); The Mantle, Vol 2 (1958); Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 137-8(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31-32(illus.);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 160-163(illus.).

Name: RHIND, ETHEL *
Building: CO. GALWAY, SPIDDAL, CHURCH OF ST ENDA (RC)
Date: 1918-1928
Nature: Opus sectile Stations of the Cross.
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, David Caron & Michael Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass (1988), 57; Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Dublin and Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 179(illus.);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 160(illus.)