||Castellated, red sandstone prison built 'to a Plan of Robertson of Kilkenny, finished by Thomas Deane'. Described by Pigot, 1824, as 'just completed, which when viewed from a distance has the appearance of a magnificent castle'. Cost £60,000.
NA, CSO/RP/1818/180 (formerly CSORP1818/C154); Pigot and Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 241; Fourth (and seventh) report of the Association for the Improvement of Prisons…in Ireland (1823-1826); T.C. Croker, MS account of Cork, c. 1832; TCD MS 1206 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Parliamentary Papers 1819 (534) XII.453 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); APSD, II, C, 148; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 14,550-551