Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CORK, BALLYHOOLY, CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN (RC)

Name: PUGIN & ASHLIN
Building: CO. CORK, BALLYHOOLY, CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN (RC)
Date: 1867-69
Nature: New. For Rev. Mr Burton. Architects 'obliged to adopt a simple and severe...treatment of their design, as the funds at their disposal have been so limited - only £1,5000 being allowed'. Dedicated 22 Aug 1869 by Bishop of Cloyne, but funds still required to finish internal decoration.
Refs: IB 9, 15 May 1867, 120(illus.),121; 11, 1 Sep 1869, 202; B 27, 4 Sep 1869, 713; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 499; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59(illus.)