Selected: CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, CONVENT OF MERCY
|Name:||PUGIN & ASHLIN|
|Building:||CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||New Early Decorated Gothic chapel with cloister. Existing chapel to be turned into lateral choir, separated from chapel by arcade with iron screens. FS laid 8 May 1867 by Rt. Rev. Dr O'Hea, Bishop of Ross. Ded. 30 Apr1868. Contractor: William Murphy, Bantry. Cost: £1,500. (Closed, 2003.)
DB 8, 1 Nov 1866, 268; IB 9, 15 May,15 Aug 1867, 127,208,209(illus.); 10, 1 Jun 1868, 142; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60; information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing letter from Sisters of Mercy archivist, 3 Oct 2008.