||PUGIN, AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE #
||CO. WEXFORD, BARNTOWN, CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS (RC)
||New church based on design of mediaeval church at Stanton, Cambridgeshire. E. window, made by Hardman & Co. to Pugin's design, presented by J. Hyacinth Talbot. FS laid 1844. FS laid Jul 1844. Mass celebrated for first time 8 Oct 1848. Dedicated 8 Sep 1851, but church not consecrated until 12 Sep 1899. (Screen has been removed and some of original glass replaced.)
Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 202; R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 136(illus.),145; Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 77(illus.).