Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY

Name: PUGIN, AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE #
Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1846-1856
Nature: FS laid 1846 but first portions not built until 1847. Completed by E.W. Pugin.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1848), 320(illlus.); Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 206; R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 147

Name: PUGIN, EDWARD WELBY #
Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1852-1856
Nature: Completion. Conical roofed bell tower not part of A.W.N. Pugin's proposed scheme, therefore possibly attributable to E.W. Pugin, but attribution of west wing to E.W. Pugin is uncertain.
Chapel was part of the completion by E.W. Pugin of the south side of A.W.N. Pugin's projected quadrangle of buildings. Altar consecrated 6 June 1856 and a Hardman East window installed in 1857.
Refs: Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 206; R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 147. See also G. J. Hyland, The Life and Works of Edward Welby Pugin Architect, 1834-75 (2021), 122, 130.

Name: PUGIN & ASHLIN
Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1865
Nature: Orphanage, adjoining North side of convent. Foundation stone laid in 1865.
Refs: G. J. Hyland, The Life and Works of Edward Welby Pugin, Architect, 1834-75 (2021), 130.

Name: ASHLIN, GEORGE COPPINGER
Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1879
Nature: Two bay chancel added (under a lower roof-line) to the original chapel. Furnished with new, larger altar and reredos in Caen stone, oak stalls and oak rood screen, to create two-cell building, into which the original East window was re-installed.
Refs:  G. J. Hyland, The Life and Works of Edward Welby Pugin, Architect, 1834-75 (2021), 122.