Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, BALLYCRANBEG, CHURCH OF MOUNT ST JOSEPH (RC)

Name: O'NEILL & BYRNE
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYCRANBEG, CHURCH OF MOUNT ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1874-1876
Nature: New church, for Rev. John McAuley. Replaced one of 1777 which became a mortuary chapel. FS laid 19 Apr 1874. Dedicated 8 Oct 1876. Contractor: Torney, Downpatrick.
Refs: James O’Laverty, An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern (1878), ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 164-166,fig. 19