Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)

Name: BEAUFORT, DANIEL AUGUSTUS (REV.)
Building: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1811-1813
Nature: New church in Tudor perpendicular gothic style..
Refs: Collon Parish Records; microfilm of plans and accompanying letter from DAB, 1811, in PRONI,MIC1/163/2;  copy of letter from Foster to Beaufort, 2 Apr 1811, in PRONI D207/36/60;   J.C. Curwen, Observations on the state of Ireland (1818), ?;  T.K. Cromwell, Excursions through Ireland (1820), ?; DNB; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I; 388;  C.C. Ellison, The Hopeful Traveller (1987), 85-89; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993),218-9,Pl.100

Name: EDGEWORTH, RICHARD LOVELL
Building: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1811-1813
Nature: Tudor perpendicular gothic.
Refs: E.McP files, citing C.C. Ellison's guide to St Mary' s Church, Navan; however in his biography of Beaufort, The Hopeful Traveller (1987), 85-87, Ellison refers to the Edgeworths generally rather than Richard Lovell Edgeworth in particular as being involved in the design of Collon church, singling out Richard's son William Edgeworth (1794-1829) as being responsible for the construction of the imitation fan-vaulting of the ceiling.

Name: EDGEWORTH, WILLIAM
Building: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1818ca
Nature: WE responsible for lath and plaster fan vaulting of ceiling.
Refs: C.C. Ellison, The Hopeful Traveller (1987), 85-87; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993),218

Name: LOWE, EDWARD *
Building: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1829a
Nature: Furnished with stained glass by Mr Lowe, Dublin.
Refs: Thomas Bell, Essay on Gothic Architecture (1829), 247-8; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 219;  photograph of windows in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 124.

Name: CARROLL & BATCHELOR
Building: CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1893
Nature: New organ (installed 1894), new porch at W. end, moving of pulpit from back to front of church. Cost: £120. Builder: John Abraham, Collon.
Refs: Larry Conlon, The Heritage of Collon, 1764-1984 (1984), 11(ilus.),21