Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. MEATH, KILSKYRE (KELLS), CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS LIGUORI (RC)

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. MEATH, KILSKYRE (KELLS), CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS LIGUORI (RC)
Date: 1847-1854
Nature: New church, begun 1847 as a relief measure.. Contractor: James Clarke, Kells. Roof stripped by gale of 1853 when church was nearing completion.. Church opened 21 May 1854. Formally dedicated, 1868.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1849), 191,323; (1850), 249; Rev. J. Brady, A Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, ?; DB 5, 1 Feb 1863, 15; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 38 (cites criticism of design in The Ecclesiologist, Aug 1847, 62); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 367; illus. in http://www.kilskyreballinlough.ie/churches (2008)

Name: GRACE, MICHAEL
Building: CO. MEATH, KILSKYRE (KELLS), CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS LIGUORI (RC)
Date: 1932
Nature: Repairs, for Rev. James Lynam, PP.
Refs: IB 74, 23 Apr 1932, 391