Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)

Name: PIERCE, RICHARD [1]
Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1851-1858
Nature: One of 'twin' churches in Wexford (see also Church of the Assumption, Bride St). 1st mass said 18 Apr 1858. Consecrated 9 Sep 1860. J.J. McCarthy architect after RP's death. Builder: Thomas Willis. E window & 3 others by Hardman & Co. Altars: Lane. Wall painting by Earley, Dublin.
Refs: B 9, 3 May 1851, 281; 10, 21 Feb 1852, 123; 15, 10 Oct 1857, 584; 16, 27 Mar,23 Oct 1858, 214,712; 18, 13 Oct 1860, 662; DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352; A Centenary record of [Wexford] town churches (1958), 82,86,100,129; Barry O'Leary, 'Richard Pierce: Architect and Acolyte of the Gothic Revival' in Journal of the Wexford Historical Society No. 20 (2004-2005), 87-90(illus.)

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: Work on twin churches of Wexford designed by Richard Pierce, taken over by JJM after Pierce's death. Dedicated Oct? 1858. Contractor: Willis. Superintendent of Works: Sinnott. Stained glass: Hardman. Altars: Lane. Wall decorations: Earley. Cost about £10,000.
Refs: Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 51

Name: CULLEN, THOMAS JOSEPH
Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1926-8
Nature: Mortuary chapel. Tenders invited for erecting same, Mar 1926.
Refs: Perspective view by J. Bruce of proposed addition in IAA, T.J. Cullen Collection, 85/74; photographs (photocopies) of exterior in IAA, Jones File C167(ii);  Irish Times, 25 Mar 1926.

Name: FARRELL & SONS *
Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Statue of Fr James Roche, founder of the twin churches. By Thomas Farrell.
Refs: A Centenary record of [Wexford] town churches (1958), 129;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 138(illus.).