Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1860
Nature: Church, schools and clergy house to be built to designs by JJM (but built instead to design of S.U. Roberts).
Refs: DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363 (source cited by Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55-56)

Name: ROBERTS, SAMUEL USSHER
Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1861-63
Nature: Gothic cruciform church attached to Jesuit College. To cost about £3,500. Skeleton and roof completed by Feb 1863. Dedicated 31 Jul 1863. Builders: Semple & Nugent, Galway.
Refs: DB 4, 1,15 Apr 1862, 73-74,103; 5, 1 Feb,15 Aug 1863, 17,141; B 21, 15 Aug 1863, 583;  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 92-93(illus.).

Name: HAGUE, WILLIAM [2]
Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1878
Nature: New altar.
Refs: B 36, 5 Oct 1878, 1051

Name: SCOTT, MICHAEL JOHN
Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1956
Nature: Oratory of Madonna of the Wayside, with mosaic designed by Louis Le Broquy and executed by SARIM, Venice.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1958), 10(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 186,187,188(illus.);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 92(illus.).