Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LONGFORD, NEWTOWNFORBES, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, CLONGUISH PARISH)

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. LONGFORD, NEWTOWNFORBES, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, CLONGUISH PARISH)
Date: 1861-64
Nature: New church, replacing earlier one on same site and consisting of nave, chancel and aisles, with Lady Chapel on S side of chancel and sacristy on N side. For Rev. Thomas Fitzgerald. Architect's fees paid by Countess of Granard. . FS laid 9 May 1861. Contractor: Gardiner. cOST@ £1,500.  Opened 4 Dec 1864.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86;  Freeman's Journal, 6 Dec 1864 (description);  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 56-57; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 436-7; James MacNamee, History of the Diocese of Ardagh (1954), 712.