||New convent for Dr Delany, Bishop of Cork, with wings containing Magdalen Asylum and Industrial School. Gothic. Proposed by Bishop Delany in Apr 1870. Foundation stone laid, 2 Oct 1870. Inauguration of convent (central block) and Magdalen Asylum (one wing), 28 Jul 1872. Foundations of other wing (Industrial School) in process of excavation by end of Dec 1874. Large portion of 10-acre site presented by Alderman James Hegarty, who also made largest donation to cost of building. Builder: E. & P. O'Flynn, Cork. For Dr Delany, Bishop of Cork.
Freeman's Journal, 11 Apr 1870,11 Apr 1871,3 Jan 1874; Cork Examiner, 11 Apr,3 Oct 1870, 29 Jul 1872 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Jan 2011); Irish Times, 3 Jan 1874; drawings for stalls, benches, prie-dieus in chapel, 1879-1880, in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.36/1-5; Dublin, Cork & South of Ireland…past & present (1892), 172