Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, LOUGH ROAD, LURGAN COLLEGE (WATTS ENDOWED SCHOOL)

Name: BELL & MALCOLMSON
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, LOUGH ROAD, LURGAN COLLEGE (WATTS ENDOWED SCHOOL)
Date: 1873
Nature: Designs for school and master's house commissioned by John Hancock, Esq., 1873. Photograph of building exh. Belfast Industrial Exhibition, 1876. IB reviewer found 'general grouping and "motif"…very good' but criticised 'attempt at originality in the lantern on summit of tower-roof' and thought other 'incongruities of detail…might be remedied with advantage'.
Refs: PRONI D.2194/2/1;  IB 18, 15 Jun 1876, 172;  George Henry Bassett, The Book of County Armagh (1888), 355;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 432;  Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 13(illus.),112(illus.),113(illus.),114(illus.)336


Name: LYNN, ROBERT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, LOUGH ROAD, LURGAN COLLEGE (WATTS ENDOWED SCHOOL)
Date: 1924
Nature: Adds. & alts. (Mulligan gives date as 1922.)
Refs: IB 66, 4 Oct 1924, 866;  Irish Times, 25 Sep 1924;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 432.

Name: HANNA, JAMES A.
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, LOUGH ROAD, LURGAN COLLEGE (WATTS ENDOWED SCHOOL)
Date: 1927
Nature: Adds. & alts. Tenders invited, Jul 1927.
Refs: Plans, elevations and sections of proposed alterations (2 copies)in PRONI, D1929/13/12A,B (see PRONI e-catalogue); IB 69, 23 Jul 1927, 545

Name: BELL & MALCOLMSON
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, LOUGH ROAD, LURGAN COLLEGE (WATTS ENDOWED SCHOOL)
Date: 1955
Nature: Extension & alterations
Refs: IB 97, 7 May,4 Jun 1955, 481,575;  obituary of G.P.Bell in RSUA Yearbook 1983, 20;   Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 432.