Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin, active in the 1810s and 1820s. William Carpenter was one of the two bricklayers' representatives on the Common Council of Dublin from 1816-1826 He is listed with the address 11 Grenville Street in Wilson's Dublin Directory for the years 1820-1829 and in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824).

A William Carpenter was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Bricklayers by virtue of service at Easter 1813,(1) while a William Carpenter of James's Street was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819). A Mr Carpenter, of Dublin, supervised the erection of the lighthouse at Fanad Head, Co. Donegal, circa 1815-17.(2)

Addresses: Cork Hill, 1819; 11 Grenville Street, 1820-1829.


All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's Dublin Directory.

(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 35.
(2) Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 38 (1997), 2(illus.), 4.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for CARPENTER, WILLIAM *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1815-17
Nature: Work supervised by 'Mr Carpenter of Dublin'.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survery Memoirs of Ireland 38 (Institute of Irish Studies, 1997), 2(illus.),4.