CARPENTER, RICHARD CROMWELL #
- Born: 1812 Died: 1855
English architect, for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 336. Richard Cromwell Carpenter made designs for the restoration of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, which were exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1846(1) and drawn up by THOMAS TALBOT BURY the following year.(2) Although some work was carried out on the cathedral during the next few years, Carpenter died before Benjamin Lee Guinness's gift of £20,000 to the dean and chapter in 1860 made it possible to embark on a new and lavish phase of restoration. Carpenter's designs were effectively abandoned, and the work was was supervised, not by another architect of standing, but by the builder's son, PATRICK J. MURPHY . The new work was attacked in several letters written to The Builder in the latter part of 1860.(3) In response Carpenter's former assistant, WILLIAM SLATER , stated that although Carpenter had prepared designs for the restoration of the whole cathedral, he had only furnished details for, and superintended, the stonework of the Lady Chapel.(4)
Richard Cromwell Carpenter was the father of RICHARD HERBERT CARPENTER.
(1) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44; a set of original drawings by Carpenter, showing the cathedral as he found it in 1845 and his restoration proposals, discovered in the cathedral ca. 1994, is described by Michael O'Neill in 'The Architecture of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin', Irish Arts Review Yearbook 11 (1995), 140-141.
(2) The folio volume is in the Royal Irish Academy.
(3) B 18, 21 Jul,15 Sep,13 Oct 1860, 469,597,664.
(4) B 18, 10 Nov 1860, 726.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for CARPENTER, RICHARD CROMWELL #
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)|
|Nature:||Designs for restoration but only Lady Chapel and choir aisles executed. Reopened 16 Jun 1850. Some of RCC's suggestions incorporated in restoration of 1861-65.
|Refs:||Drawings (by Thomas Talbot Bury) in RIA. (Further drawings in Carpenter album purchased by RIBA in 1993; Armagh Guardian, 17 Jun 1850 (description of work); B 18, 10 Nov 1860, 726; Michael O'Neill in 'The Architecture of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin', Irish Arts Review Yearbook 11 (1995), 140-141; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 604,607-10,612,617.|