Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. Charles Carolin was probably a brother of ROBINSON  ROBINSON and JOHN CAROLIN  JOHN CAROLIN with whom he appears to have been in partnership in the 1840s. He was admitted a freeman of Dublin by virtue of service as a member of the Carpenters' Guild at Michaelmas 1813(1) and represented the Guild on the Common Council of Dublin for the years 1830 and 1831.(2) He was elected a sheriff in 1834(3) and became an alderman in 1837.(4) He is presumably the Charles Carolin of Clontarf who died on 16 February 1846, leaving an only daughter, Sarah, and was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery; he is still listed, however, in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847.

Addresses:(5) 20 Lower Abbey Street, 1833-1835; 17 Talbot Street, 1839; 21 Talbot Street <=1821-1844.
Home: Clontarf Sheds, <=1841-<=1847.


(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 35.
(2) Wilson's Dublin Directory (1831), 200.
(3) CARD XIX, 140.
(4) Post Office Directory (1839), 445.
(5) From Wilson's, Post Office and Pettigrew & Oulton's directories.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for CAROLIN, CHARLES *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1842
Nature: C, R & J Carolin builders of new greenhouse at Botanic Garden. (Moved to new botanic garden at Ballsbridge 1800ca.)
Refs: TCD muniments, MUN 3/2/300 (32-34)