Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin. John Carolin was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin by virtue of birth as a member of the Carpenters' Guild at Midsummer 1820 at the same time as his elder brother ROBINSON CAROLIN. ROBINSON CAROLIN. (1) The two brothers formed the firm of R. & J. Carolin of 14-16 Lower Abbey Street. For some years in the 1840s CHARLES CAROLIN  CHARLES CAROLIN was senior partner in the firm, but by 1853 the firm appears in the Post Office Dublin Directory simply as Robinson and John Carolin. John Carolin died aged eighty-one on 11 February 1877 and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery.(2) In the notice of his death in the Irish Builder, he and his brother are described as having been 'throughout their business lives surprisingly sharp and active gentlemen'.

Addresses: Work: (as C.,R. & J.. Carolin, builders and timber merchants), Abbey Street Lower, 1841; 40 Abbey Street Lower, 1844; 14-16 Abbey Street Lower, 1847; (as Robinson & John Carolin) 14-16 Abbey Street Lower, <=1853 >=1875.
Home: 41 Gardiner Street Lower 1837 until >=1839; 50 Gardiner Street Lower, 1844; 39 Gardiner Street Lower, 1848; 60 Gardiner Street Lower <=1853 until >=1857; 1 Annesley Terrace, Rathgar, 1863; 80 Gardiner Street Lower, <=1874 until death.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the notice of John Carolin's death in IB 19, 15 Feb 1877, 59, and from Wilson's, Pettigrew & Oulton's, Post Office and Thom's directories.

(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 36.
(2) Inscription on tomb in Mount Jerome Cemetery.