BYRNE, EDWARD J.
- Born: 1863/64 Died: 1930
Architect, of Belfast. According to the 1911 census, Edward Byrne was born in Belfast in 1863 or 1864, the younger brother by two years of JAMES BYRNE.& #160; He was in practice as an architect from 4 Waring Street from about 1884. In 1897 or earlier he formed a partnership with James which continued to practise from 4 Waring Street as E. & J. BYRNE. A t the time of the census the two bachelor brothers were living together with their sister Ellen at 19 Alexandra Avenue, Duncairn. Edward J. Byrne died on 13 September 1930,(1) leaving personal property valued at £6303.7s.1d.(2) James Byrne survived him. Edward Byrne was a subscriber to George Lister Sutcliffe, ed., The Principles and Practice of Modern House-Construction (London, 1898).
See WORKS; see also works of E. & J. BYRNE.
(1) IB 72, 22 Nov 1930, 1040.
(2) IB 73, 23 May 1931, 472.
11 work entries listed in chronological order for BYRNE, EDWARD J.
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD, PREMISES (LEONARD, WINE MERCHANT)|
|Nature:||3-storey shop, with billiard room, for Patrick Leonard, wine merchant. Clerk of works: James Byrne.|
|Refs:||IB 26, 15 Aug 1884, 242 (illus.)|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, LIBRARY CHAMBERS|
|Nature:||Large block of shops, for Francis Rogers, Esq. containing Mrs Rogers's millinery warerooms. Demolished ca 1975. Clerk of works: James Byrne.|
|Refs:||IB 26, 15 Oct 1884, 304 (illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 289|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, QUEEN'S BRIDGE, LICENSED PREMISES|
|Nature:||Remodelling at cost of £700.|
|Refs:||IB 27, 1 Apr 1885, 111|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROSEMARY STREET, S.T. LANGLEY|
|Nature:||'Lofty' new premises with 'most artistic frontage' erected to replace the building which was burnt down in Feb. For S.T. Langley.|
|Refs:||IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 300|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROTTERDAM STREET (& QUEEN'S BRIDGE), PUBLIC HOUSE|
|Nature:||Reconstruction after widening of Queen's Bridge.|
|Refs:||IB 27, ? ? 1885, 262|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, RANDALSTOWN, HOUSE|
|Nature:||New house to be built.|
|Refs:||Architect 41, 17 May 1889, suppl p.1|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, YORK STREET, SHOP|
|Nature:||Conversion of house into shop|
|Refs:||IB 43, 4 Dec 1902, 1504|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CASTLEREAGH ROAD, SHOPS (004)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding, for John Hollywood, Esq,.|
|Refs:||IB 49, 13 Jul 1907, 488|
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, DONAGHMORE, SCHOOL|
|Refs:||IB 53, 23 Dec 1911, 849|
|Building:||CO. DOWN, BALLYPHILIP (PORTAFERRY), ST PATRICK'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS (RC)|
|Nature:||Extension of John O'Neills's school of 1853|
|Refs:||IB 53, 23 Dec 1911, 849; G.P. Bell, C.E.B. Brett, R. Matthew, Portaferry & Strangford (UAHS, 1969), 21|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BOTANIC AVENUE, PREMISES|
|Nature:||Alteration, for J. Freeman. Plans approved by City Surveyor.|
|Refs:||IB 68, 7 Aug 1926, 619|